Sunday, August 2, 2009

Billings to Yellowstone

Hi all,
Back in Billings, you remember Billings, internet, beer, laundry....well I decided to modify the route a bit...well I am soooo glad I did. Highway 212 from Billings to Yellowstone is called Beartooth Pass http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/RockyMtn/MT/MT_2.shtml
I call it the ride to heaven and back. We started out in 50 degree temps (a bit chilly for July) I took no chances and wore full leathers and gloves. With a 2800 foot elevation we didn't think it was gonna get much colder. The road started out with some slow sweeping curves, not a lot of elevation but plenty of beautiful sites.
In a matter of minutes the altimeter on my GPS started to climb, 4500, 5500, 8000...and the air was not only thin but very cold. 9000 feet is a rest area (pics to follow) breathataking scenery of the valley we just rode.
10,900 feet in the air, 34 degrees and the mist in the air wasn't rain it was the condensation from the cloud we were in. I had climbed to the top of a mountain and all I could see was some of the most heavenly sites I have ever witnessed. the sheer silence at the summit was amazing.
The ride down was just as incredible.
I truly felt like I got to touch heaven....

No comments:

Post a Comment