Sunday, August 2, 2009

Yellowstone

As I pulled into the North Entrance and was greeted by some friendly rangers, I opted out of my leathers in lieu of the 70+ temps. Ranger Rick says as I am pulling away, "be careful of the bison, they are all over the park and have a mind of thier own. Heeding the warning, I decide that the 45mph was good enough for me.
5 miles into the park, a traffic jam...hmmm wonder what's going on...oh look buffalo! Holy Hamburger Batman....Bison...and they are huge! The are less than 20 feet from my bike as I try to move past slowly, using cars for some cover cause hey ya never know...whew made it, that wasn't so bad.
6pm, after about 3 hours of some spectacular, slow riding I stop and get gas. I look at the map and realize it's another 2 hours just to get to Old Faithful. and another 2 hours out of the park, in the dark with bison and other animals about...hmmm lets see if they have room at the inn.
I arrive at the visitor center to find every kind of shop imaginable, grocery, camping, hunting, fishing, ice cream, gifts, folk lore...you name it they had it. It was perfect. They have room! Yea I'm gonna spend they night in Jellystone with Yogi and BooBoo!

The cabins the park service erected in the 1940's and renovated in the 70's to include electricity and H/C running water. Now some would have been upset, no internet, no TV, voice and text only(thanks verizon wireless) and twin beds. To me, I thought it was the best spot in the whole world. Had a great meal, read my book and called it an early night.

The next morning I got an eraly start and rode down to Old Faithful, it was truly incredible. Everything anyone has ever said it true!

The ride out of the park via the East entrance was another sweeping curve infested road. Now while the Blue Ridge Parkway (which I have also ridden) is gorgeous, Yellowstone I would have to say road wise is better.

The rest of the day was long, hot highway miles that put us about 8 miles from Devil's Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment